The museum was founded in 1980 by the Cultural and Folklore Society Epano Mirabello. His collection, which has been enriched in the meantime, was housed in a building that was granted to the museum by the Metropolis of Petra until July 2016, where it was transferred to the historic building of the 1st High School - Lyceum of Neapolis. The collection includes furniture, agricultural tools, a loom and other weaving tools, woven and embroidery, tools from traditional craft workshops, as well as samples of woodcarving techniques, parts of the iconostasis, and a large cross-screening temple of temples in the area. A small space has been formed in an old café, while another in a school with old wooden desks and a wooden chair on a pedestal. A collection of weapons, military uniforms, photographs, coins and other items from the period of the Cretan State (1898 - 1913) is also exhibited.
The building, designated by the Ministry of Culture as a historic listed monument, is located next to the Great Lady and the Municipal Garden. Ground floor, stone-built, is housed in a wooden tiled roof. Its plan is shaped in a "P" shape, enclosing an open patio. Perimeter of the atrium is a peristyle, which acts as a corridor for the communication of the spaces of the two parallel legs of the building to each other. Now, after many efforts, hours and days of volunteer work until late in the evening of PLEAM members and all the associates, there are a thousand and two reasons for you to go and go back to a museum, which without any exaggeration is in his field Crete level by far the most complete. A cultural donation and an ark of rescue of the history and traditions of Merabellos described Stavros Arnaoutakis of the Folkloric Historical Museum of Neapolis, while pointing out the cooperation and support of the Region at the Museum, as well as similar initiatives and actions of other cultural actors throughout Crete.